Snettisham is located just a short 11-minute drive south of Old Hunstanton and has significant historical importance dating back to the stone age. Archaeological finds include the ‘Snettisham Hoard’ comprising around 180 gold torques found between 1948 and 1973.
More recently in 1985, there was also a find of Romano-British jewellery and raw materials buried in a clay pot dated 155 AD, dubbed the ‘Snettisham Jeweller’s Hoard’. It is thought that in the 11th century, Snettisham was the third-largest town in Norfolk with seven mills, three fisheries and salt houses.
Today, a visit to Snettisham during your self-catering holiday cottage break offers a wide selection of small boutique shops from basic amenities to specialist services such as an arts and craft shop, picture framing and a bookshop. The village is the home to award-winning pubs and a restaurant.
Standing tall overlooking the village, St Mary’s Church dates from the 14th century and is particularly notable for its outstanding spire standing 172 foot tall and would have been used as a landmark for mariners navigating The Wash.
As well as its history and agriculture, Snettisham has important quarries of Norfolk Sandstone, also known as Carrstone. Numerous local buildings throughout the area are built with this local Carrstone.
On the edge of the village is Snettisham Park a very popular farm park and well known for its deer and deer safaris. Less than two miles away on the coast is the RSPB Snettisham reserve, a wonderful mix of bird lagoons and observation hides that overlook Snettisham’s shingle beach and out across the sea.